Cross Validated is a question and answer site for people interested in statistics, machine learning, data analysis, data mining, and data visualization. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I forget the terminology, but this happens when you regress, say, $Y$ on a list of variables, and you suspect that $Y$ affects, say, $x_3$ in addition to $x_3$ affecting $Y.$ I forget how this is called, and how to deal with it -- something along the lines of adding an extra variable? Thanks!

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

You probably mean reverse causality. That is a form of endogeneity. For a nice discussion, see page 146 here. Broadly, you deal with it the same way you deal with endogeneity in general, using either instrumental variables, or finding a natural experiment.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.