Cross Validated is a question and answer site for people interested in statistics, machine learning, data analysis, data mining, and data visualization. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This is more of a further question on a previous topic, so my apologies if there was some way to link them that I haven't found. It is essentially the same problem as How to back-calculate change from baseline from a p-value for a paired t test . I.e. I need to calculate the standard deviation of the change. However in the study I have the two samples are indepedent, and therefore the authors have already calculated a p-value using the two-sided Wilcoxon rank sum test. Specifically:

Sample 1: n=86, mean=0.58, sd = +/- 0.12

Sample 2: n=69, mean = 0.41 sd = +/- 0.108

The authors have used a two-sided Wilcoxon rank sum test to get a p-value of 0.51.

Is is possible to impute the standard deviation of the change? This is necessary for a meta-analysis I am writing.

Many thanks for any pointers.

share|improve this question

It is not possible without an estimate of the correlation between baseline and follow-up measurement. Note that change scores have many problems as detailed in In addition, in a randomized study if the correlation between baseline and follow-up measurement is less than 0.5, it is less efficient to subtract baseline than to ignore it. The same is not true for covariate adjustment.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.