Which test to use to calculate correlations between them?

  • Cramer's V,
  • Kruskal-Wallis,
  • or something else?
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Are you wondering how such correlations are calculated (ie, how to arrive at the number), how they are tested (ie, if they could have come from a population w/o any correlation), or what they mean? $\endgroup$ – gung - Reinstate Monica May 28 '14 at 23:33
  • $\begingroup$ italic Yes! @gung $\endgroup$ – user46343 May 28 '14 at 23:46

Cramér's V and the Kruskal–Wallis test are for nominal data; the latter is a null hypothesis test, not a correlation. If you want to calculate the correlation between a dichotomous variable and an ordinal variable, you could use Kendall's $\tau$, the Goodman–Kruskal $\gamma$, or Spearman's $\rho$ (listed in the order in which I'd recommend them, I suppose). If you're estimating population parameters, you can also generate confidence intervals around these statistics or perform null hypothesis tests if you wish.
For some comparisons and a conversion method, see:

| cite | improve this answer | |
  • $\begingroup$ @user46343: was there anything else you wanted to know, or is my answer acceptable? $\endgroup$ – Nick Stauner May 30 '14 at 20:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.