Has the parameter $\displaystyle \frac{1}{\sqrt{2(n-1)}}$ a name? $n=\text{number of observations}$

  • 8
    $\begingroup$ No, except if you consider "reciprocal of the standard deviation of a chi-square random variable with $n-1$ degrees of freedom", as a "name". $\endgroup$ Jun 25, 2014 at 19:00
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ I like to note that $n$ is a parameter "sample size", while $\displaystyle \frac{1}{\sqrt{2(n-1)}}$ would at most be some statistical measure, which I never heard of. $\endgroup$
    – emcor
    Jun 25, 2014 at 19:04
  • 4
    $\begingroup$ Normally I'd call that something like 'the expression', 'the term' or 'the constant factor' rather than 'the parameter', which has a very particular meaning in statistics. $\endgroup$
    – Glen_b
    Jun 25, 2014 at 23:44

1 Answer 1



(Body must have at least 30 characters;)

  • 5
    $\begingroup$ I'll remember that answer, it's endlessly recyclable here. +1. $\endgroup$ Jun 25, 2014 at 21:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.