I'm playing with the Neural Network toolbox in MATLAB. I've noted that each activation function (aka, transfer function) has 2 properties:
- the output range, which, if I understand, is the codomain of the function, and
- the active input range, which I really don't understand
- tansig (hyperbolic tangent sigmoid) has an output range of
[-1,1]and an active input range of
- logsig (log-sigmoid) has an output range of
[0,1]and an active input range of
- purelin (linear) has both an output range and an active input range of
I'm really confused...
So, can you tell me:
- What is it the active input range of an activation function
- How can I compute the active input range for a custom activation function?
Thank you so much for your time.