I'd like to compare the proportion of two sets of binomial data where the null hypothesis is not p1=p2, or p1-p2=x, but \begin{equation} H0: p1=x*p2 \end{equation}

I've been computing a z test as follow: \begin{equation} ztest=\frac{(p1-p2*x)}{\sqrt{\frac{p1*(1-p1)}{n1}+\frac{p2*(1-p2)}{n2}}} \end{equation}

I suspect this is not the proper way of doing this? Any help would be welcome!

Best, David


1 Answer 1



You'd test \begin{equation} ztest=\frac{(p1-p2*x)}{\sqrt{\frac{p1*(1-p1)}{n1}+\frac{p2*x^2*(1-p2)}{n2}}} \end{equation} Where $0\leq p2*x\leq 1$

Note:- test if you have equality of Variance, then use paired-variance.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.