What is the subject of statistics called if the subject is used to studying if a statistical model formulated fit the actual data?

If there are more than one general subject to study this, name all of them.

I was thinking that curve fitting and theory of reliability responsible for that. If so, what else?

  • $\begingroup$ "Emprical?" Not really a branch of statistics, though. Maybe "a posteriori", usually used in economics, in which a theory is derived from the data, rather than "a priori" in which a theory is posted first, then data is used to validate or invalidate. Hard to list all a posteriori approaches. $\endgroup$ Jul 3, 2015 at 21:04

1 Answer 1


If you're talking about how well a model fits data (not sure what it would mean to say a "statistic" fits the data), that would be goodness of fit.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ This site has a tag for goodness-of-fit, with nearly 400 questions presently tagged with that topic. $\endgroup$
    – EdM
    Jul 3, 2015 at 21:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.