I got confused about some terms! I have group of studies that measure a parameter X in certain group of subjects. Each study used certain number of subjects N and reported a MEAN and VARIANCE of parameter X. Like this:

Study   N    MEAN    VARIANCE
1       10   5       0.6
2       20   6       0.8

Do we call VARIANCE reported "the sampling variance" or is it called the "sampling variance of the mean"?

  • $\begingroup$ It might be neither. Quite possibly "VARIANCE" refers to the variance of the data. How do the studies describe this statistic? $\endgroup$ – whuber Oct 27 '15 at 0:17
  • $\begingroup$ @whuber they describe it as (MEAN+- SD). I calculated variance then as SD^2. So, yes variance here refers to the variance of the measured data in each study. $\endgroup$ – Amer Oct 27 '15 at 0:28
  • $\begingroup$ so is it considered as sampling variance? or can we call it sampling variance of the mean value reported? $\endgroup$ – Amer Oct 27 '15 at 0:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.