For my Master thesis I looked at behavioral responses of fish by quantifying their position as a reaction to a certain treatment.

I have 20 Fish that I measured on 7 consecutive days. Every day, each individual got to see all 4 Treatments once.

The variable I measured is categorical (Zone 1, Zone 2, Zone 3). Since I measured each fish with each treatment 7 times, i have repeated measures. But with categorical data... How do I do this? What Test can I use? Usually I would take the mean "something" (lets say the mean distance) per Fish and get one independent data point per fish, but categorical data confuses me... I can't take the mean "Zone".

My Supervisor wants me to use JMP for data analysis (eventhough I'd prefer SPSS).

If any of you knows a test I can use, I'd appreciate your help! I see this has been a familar poblem in the past (judging from what I find on the internet so far).


  • $\begingroup$ Can you think of the zones as ordered (ie, one end of the tank, the middle, the other end)? $\endgroup$ – gung - Reinstate Monica Dec 3 '15 at 14:42
  • $\begingroup$ In a way, yes (one zone is closer to the treatment, another one is further away) $\endgroup$ – user97001 Dec 3 '15 at 15:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy