I was reading a paper (dont have it with me!) on statistics and found a term that I have never encountered before:

$p_{i}{(x_{i}-\mu )} = p_i(x_i - \sum_i p_ix_i)$

After some research it seems that this term some how to the variance:

$Var(X) =\sum _{i=1}^{n}p_{i}{(x_{i}-\mu )^2}$

Does anyone have a hunch as to what this term referred to in the literature?


I don't think there is a special name for that term. It's just some mathematical expression,

$$p_i(x_i - \mu),$$

in which the definition of the mean value has been inserted (--where one should better use another letter as $i$ for the summation index),

$$\mu \ = \ \sum_{j} p_j x_j.$$


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.