I have Group A, B, C. My hypotheses are"

1) proportions of C are different from proportions of A (=independance)
2) proportions of C are different from proportions of B (=independance)
3) proportions of A are NOT different from proportions of B (=NO independance)

Is there something like post-hoc contrasts for chi-squared, so I can test all my hypotheses in ONE modell and not have alpha inflation?

Intuitively I would test C against a composite of A and B but that still doesnt test if A is different/independent

There is a post on Stackoverflow regarding this topic, but there wasn't an answer.


1 Answer 1


The R Package 'pairwise.prop.test()' does the post-hoc job. One can also define several methods of adjusting p-value. However, this is only a post-hoc test and no planned comparisons.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.