I have been instructed by my supervisor to run K-means in Matlab on my data which is comprised of sensory data observations that pertain to 7 outcomes, which I have labeled using numbers from 0 to 7.
I have looked and experimented with the Matlab K-means examples from the documentation and have an idea of the variables it returns:
But there are many factors I am not sure about in terms of my dataset:
- How many clusters do I request?
- Does my data need normalising or segregating?
- What is the best way to visually show the clusters, since > 3 dimensions?
- Is there another clustering method that would better suit my data?
- How do I objectively interpret the clusters assignments?
It terms of No.3, I was thinking maybe a bar plot to demonstrate this. No.5 I appreciate is difficult because I have not done any clustering as yet, but thought I would ask just in case there is some form of validation metric that can be performed?