I have two continuous variables a and b and I would like to test whether they non-linearly interact to affect a dependent variable c. Without loss of generality, let's assume that a and b are positively correlated with c. Then there are 3 possibilities:

  1. a and b have a positive interaction (e.g. c = a + b + 2ab - 1, c = 2a + 3b + 2 a / b + 3)

  2. a and b have a negative interaction (e.g. c = a + b - 2ab - 1, c = 2a + 3b - 2 a / b + 3)

  3. a and b do not have a consistent interaction or have no interaction (e.g. c = a + 2b + Normal(0, 1), c = a + b + ab(a - b), c = a + b + d where d is independent of a and b, c = 2a + b + 5).

I would like both a two-tailed test for interaction that gives a low p value in cases 1 and 2 but not 3, and one-tailed tests for positive interaction (low p value for case 1 only) and negative interaction (low p value for case 2 only). How should this test be formulated?

Note that this is more complicated than testing whether two continuous variables are independent or non-linearly related, although ideas from those posts might be helpful in solving this problem.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.