In a research study I have a list of countries and data about them.
- Oil exports
- Oil imports
- Percentage of electricity produced with renewable energies
- Percentage of GDP put into research in renewable energies
Now I would like to cluster these countries into three groups. In the end the group should be equivalent to:
- Countries with high ecological standards
- Countries with medium ecological standards
- Countries with low ecological standards
These 3 categories are ordered. I would like to run the model additionally for 5 categories.
Which clustering algorithm would be most appropriate? Is k-means a good choice in this case? Which dangers arise when I use k-means? If you have some code in R solving a similar problem I would also be grateful.