Notice that it has groups $(D_1, D_2, D_3)$ and each group has subgroups $(c_1, c_2, c_3)$. poor hand made drawing.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ I think people would call that a grouped bar chart/bar plot. $\endgroup$
    – Noah
    Commented May 29, 2017 at 19:34

2 Answers 2


This is called a grouped bar chart.

There's a list of different types of bar charts here

R calls bar charts barplots, and the grouped version is obtained with beside=TRUE:grouped bar chart from R
(example from code in R help on barplot)

Excel calls them clustered column charts (Excel uses bar chart to refer to the version with horizontal bars)

  • $\begingroup$ This does not provide an answer to the question. To critique or request clarification from an author, leave a comment below their post. - From Review $\endgroup$
    – lennon310
    Commented May 29, 2017 at 20:11
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ Huh, @lennon310? The author asks what this is called. I answered it and told him. There was no need to obtain any clarification. it was one of the most straightforward questions asked on CV today. Simply because the answer isn't paragraphs long doesn't make it inappropriate. $\endgroup$ Commented May 29, 2017 at 20:20
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @Analyst1 Your post is being automatically flagged as low quality and placed in a review queue because it's so short. An autocomment is generated when someone reviews that it's not a good quality answer. Please consider expanding on your answer, perhaps with some additional detail, references and links. $\endgroup$
    – Glen_b
    Commented May 30, 2017 at 0:47
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ I have taken the liberty of adding a little detail to your answer. If you wish to go back to your original, click the "edited ... ago" link at the bottom of your post, scroll down to your original version and click "rollback" $\endgroup$
    – Glen_b
    Commented May 30, 2017 at 1:08
  • $\begingroup$ @StatsStudent Are you and @Analyst1 the same person? $\endgroup$
    – amoeba
    Commented Jun 1, 2017 at 8:03

This is a particular case of what is called a small multiple. According to Wikipedia, it could also be called trellis chart, lattice chart, grid chart, or panel chart. Some software packages like Vega-Lite also use the term facet to describe its construction.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.