I am trying to do a multi-scale analysis and I've stumbled upon, either by personal research or recommendations (as in this Q), with the concept of Space-scale analysis.

Do you know how can I plot things like this in R?:

(source: Supplementary Fig. 15 from this article) scale-space representation

  • $\begingroup$ It is just a heat map, so if you look up examples of heat maps in R you should be able to find a solution. Given the density of cells in the mentioned plot, you will want to look at solutions that utilize raster graphics to plot the image as opposed to vector ones. $\endgroup$
    – Andy W
    Aug 31, 2012 at 16:07
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Maybe I was not clear enough. What I actually want to do is the multi-scale analysis. Not the actual plot. In order to improve the question could you tell me where did my question made you misunderstand my point? $\endgroup$ Aug 31, 2012 at 16:35
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ At the point where you said "Do you know how can I plot things like this in R?". It is a bit easier to answer questions that are smaller in scope, saying things like "How do I do X?" is difficult to answer besides to point to literature. It is best to show what type of research you have done so far, and if you are getting stuck at a particular point ask about that. $\endgroup$
    – Andy W
    Aug 31, 2012 at 16:40

1 Answer 1


It sounds like you're talking about wavelet analysis? R packages include wavelets, waveslim, wmtsa, or rwt. Not sure which have nice graphing capabilities. Package dlpR is from a specific field, but I have to say its wavelet.plot plot (use its morlet function to process the data) is quite nice.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.