I have 5 groups of patients (different sizes), for which I measured some property that is continuous but not normally distributed. I would like to compare every pair of groups in respect to this property and get a p value, in order to determine which pairs are different from each other. What is the appropriate way to perform this?

Thank you!

And here's a plot to illustrate the distributions: enter image description here

  • $\begingroup$ Perhaps use a Kruskal-Wallis test at level $\alpha$ to see if there are any significant differences. If so perform ad hoc ${5\choose 2} = 10$ two-sample Wilcoxon tests at level $\alpha/10$ (Bonferroni criterion) to identify which pairs of groups differ. // It is difficult to give optimal advice based on such a skeletal and abstract description of the problem. In particular, it would be helpful to know whether the 'non-normal' property has the same type of distribution in all groups and about how large the 'different sizes' of groups are. $\endgroup$ – BruceET Dec 9 '18 at 18:41
  • $\begingroup$ Thanks BruceET, a Kruskal-Wallis test results gave p value = 2.61979e-20. I also added a box plot illustrating the distribution as an edit to the question. A wilcoxon test with alpha=0.005 resulted in 7/10 significant pairwise differences. Is a Bonferroni preferable to FDR in this context? Thanks! $\endgroup$ – R Sorek Dec 10 '18 at 7:58
  • $\begingroup$ In statistical software, 'notches' in sides of boxplots are often nonparametric CIs calibrated for comparing two plots at a time. I see indications there of about 7 signif differences. Might look to see if those agree with Bonferroni. Boxplots carry no inherent info about sample sizes; for publication these should always be reported in caption or nearby text. // Acronym 'FDR' doesn't immediately ring a bell; what's that? // Anyhow glad you're getting answers that make sense to you. $\endgroup$ – BruceET Dec 10 '18 at 17:51

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.