0
$\begingroup$

Suppose I have fit a classification model through Genetic Programming. The output is a symbolic expression that is a function of the covariates, and that associates to each data point a class, such that, if the value of the function at that point is larger than a threshold, it is classified as a positive example; if smaller, classified as a 0 or negative example.

My question is, can we interpret the value of the discriminant function as the probability that the data point belongs to each class?

Say, if a data point has a discriminant Value of 0.98, can we say that the probability the model assigns to the data being of class 1 is 98%, and conversely that it is of class 0 with a probability of 2%?

$\endgroup$

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.