This question already has an answer here:
- How to calculate the variance of a partition of variables 2 answers
- How does one go about determining the standard deviation of an entire sample data set? 1 answer
- How to calculate overall standard deviation from standard deviation of sub-periods? 4 answers
- Is it possible to find the combined standard deviation? 3 answers
- Combining results of two samples to find combined standard deviation 2 answers
Let's say we know the standard deviation of a set of data. Furthermore, that set of data can be partitioned into subsets, and we know the standard deviation for each subset of that partition. What's the relationship between those standard deviations and the one for the whole set? Is it simple, like an average, or more complicated?