This question already has an answer here:

I have the mean and standard deviation for Male and Female groups in a study, I'm trying to get the combined mean and standard deviation. The two groups have different N's. I can get the weighted average of the two means, but I don't know how to get the new standard deviation, given that the N's are different. Is there a modified version of Var(x+y)=Var(x)+Var(y) that takes into account the sample sizes too that I can use?


marked as duplicate by whuber Mar 12 at 21:58

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.