I'm trying to refer to the coefficients other than the intercept. Is there a word/jargon that refers to coefficients other than the intercept? (I'm currently calling them 'other coefficients', which is mildly descriptive in the context, but not ideal.)

  • 3
    $\begingroup$ Some people refer to the other coefficients as "slopes". Others refer to them as "effects" or "associations", depending on the type of study. $\endgroup$ – Isabella Ghement Mar 24 at 2:26
  • $\begingroup$ I call them coefficients. I call the intercept the intercept. I thought this was standard. $\endgroup$ – The Laconic Mar 24 at 2:41
  • $\begingroup$ "beta coefficients" might work. I'm not sure. $\endgroup$ – Sal Mangiafico Mar 24 at 3:34

Consider the multiple linear regression model


Here $y$ is the response vector, $X$ is the design matrix with (say) $p+1$ columns (the first column in this matrix is a vector of all ones corresponding to the intercept), $\beta=(\beta_0,\beta_1,\ldots,\beta_p)^T$ is the vector of regression coefficients and $\varepsilon$ is the random error.

Without resorting to vectors, we can write the model as

$$y=\beta_0+\beta_1 x_1+\beta_2 x_2+\cdots+\beta_p x_p+\varepsilon$$

In this model with $p$ regressors or predictor variables, the parameters $\beta_j,\,j=0,1,\ldots,p$ are simply called the regression coefficients. In fact, $\beta_j$ represents the expected change in the response $y$ per unit change in $x_j$ when all of the remaining regressor variables $x_i\,(i\ne j)$ are held constant. For this reason, the parameters $\beta_j,\,j=1,2,\ldots,p$ are often called partial regression coefficients. The parameter $\beta_0$ is of course separately called the intercept.

In simple linear regression we have $p=1$ and the regression coefficient $\beta_1$ is simply called the slope.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ I am happy with anyone referring to all of them -- all the $\beta$ elements -- as coefficients. Another name for intercept is just the constant. $\endgroup$ – Nick Cox Mar 24 at 7:47
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Gradient for slope is common also. $\endgroup$ – Nick Cox Mar 24 at 8:11
  • $\begingroup$ Related: stats.stackexchange.com/questions/92992/…. $\endgroup$ – StubbornAtom Mar 24 at 8:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.