What is the meaning of the quantity:


Is there, for example, a geometric explanation? Is there a term for it in statistics?

  • $\begingroup$ if the answer ok for you @apadana, can you please accept and/or upvote it? $\endgroup$ – gunes Mar 26 at 20:50

It is the square root of the determinant of the covariance matrix (between $X$ and $P$). The determinant of the covariance matrix is called as Generalized Variance, which quantifies the co-variability of multivariate random variables to a scalar. What you write is the square root of it, so I believe it won't be too odd to call it as Generalized Deviation.

Edit: After some research, I found that, in some contexts, it's referred as Generalized Standard Deviation, or Wilk's standard deviation.

| cite | improve this answer | |
  • $\begingroup$ Have you seen "generalized deviation" used anywhere, or did you come up with that term? $\endgroup$ – Dave Mar 11 at 18:22
  • $\begingroup$ @Dave I've come up with it actually. $\endgroup$ – gunes Mar 11 at 21:22
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ "Co-variability" is more accurate, than "variability". E.g. if the determinant of a covariance matrix is zero, there's linear dependence among the de-meaned random variables. (In the two by two case here, $\epsilon = 0$ if and only if $X$ lies in the linear span of $P$ and $1$.) $\endgroup$ – Michael Mar 12 at 1:28
  • $\begingroup$ Right @Michael changed it $\endgroup$ – gunes Mar 12 at 7:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.