It's been 45 years since I took college statistics, but now I've been asked to help someone to put together descriptive statistics regarding a population with a type of congenital defect. My searches for a similar problem have been in vain, and I would gladly take some help. Here's the problem:
- We have collected data on a set of 2,495 patients with a particular type of defect D.
- Of the total of 2,495 patients, 1,426 (57.2%) are male.
- (Note: we would not have expected the sex distribution to be 50/50. For all we know, the 57.2% male distribution is representative of the universe of patients with Defect D.)
- Of the total, 403 (16.2%) have Variant X of Defect D. The remaining 2,092 (83.8%) have variant Y.
- Of the 403 with variant X, 215 (53.3%) are male.
- Of the 2,092 with variant Y, 1,211 (57.9%) are male.
Question: Is the difference in the male/female makeup for those with Variant X statistically significant when compared to the male/female makeup for those with Variant Y?
Or, stated differently, is 53.3% (males with Variant X) statistically different from 57.9% (males with Variant Y)?
(My understanding is that the result would be expressed as a p-value, but don't take that as a given! I've also been advised that the t-test might be valuable here.)
Thanks -- Pete