I have a set of data in which the response variable is continuous and the other independent variables are dichotomous (not naturally occurring).

I think I have to perform Biserial correlation (I an aware of the difference between point biserial and biserial correlation).

How can I do this on SPSS or any other statistical software?

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Please visit my web-page. In "Various proximities" you will find computation of biserial as well as point-biserial correlations. $\endgroup$ – ttnphns Feb 10 '13 at 7:43
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ If you have a dependent and an independent variable, then why not use regression? $\endgroup$ – Peter Flom Feb 10 '13 at 14:38

If you are looking for "Point-Biserial" correlation coefficient, just find the Pearson correlation coefficient. In SPSS, click Analyze -> Correlate -> Bivariate. The rest is pretty easy to follow. Computationally the point biserial correlation and the Pearson correlation are the same.

| cite | improve this answer | |
  • $\begingroup$ Are you sure the biserial correlation was introduced in version 21? $\endgroup$ – ttnphns Feb 10 '13 at 7:40
  • $\begingroup$ I stand corrected. What I meant was the "Point-Bieserial" correlation coefficient. $\endgroup$ – user765195 Feb 10 '13 at 17:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.