How do I test if two time series' coefficients differ significantly from one another? I feel like this should be pretty simple... should I just use the estimates/standard errors and calculate a Z-score?

Your help is much appreciated.


1 Answer 1


The Chow Test can be used to test the equivalence of two (or more ) time series models.

  • $\begingroup$ Awesome - this looks like exactly what I need. Do you have any recommendations for packages to use in R? $\endgroup$
    – 123456
    Feb 12, 2013 at 22:03
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Actually this does not appear to be what I am looking for - is the Chow Test only used for looking for structural breaks in time series models? That is all I can seem to find references on. I am wanting to compare the time series of two separate groups, starting from the same time point. $\endgroup$
    – 123456
    Feb 12, 2013 at 22:08
  • $\begingroup$ The Choe test can be used to test for structural breals IF you pre-specify the break point. AUTOBOX , a piece of software that I have helpewd write actually searches for the breakpoint. The null hypothesis you are specifying is that all the coeffiecients are equal . Thid id the null hypothesis of the Chow Test thus it is exactly what you are lookin for at least in my opinion. $\endgroup$
    – IrishStat
    Aug 12, 2013 at 12:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.