What is the name of the kind of animatrd graph that show a development over a period of time - and the vertical bars change length and order.

Fx country on y-axis, no of COVID-19 cases on x-axis, and then like a stop motion movie, the bars expand and change order (over a period of one year fx)


2 Answers 2


There are many names for just what you need for instance:

  • trellis bar graphs
  • stacked bar graphs
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ This does not address animation, although I don't have an answer other than e.g. animated stacked bar graph. $\endgroup$
    – Nick Cox
    Commented Mar 10, 2021 at 18:09
  • $\begingroup$ yeah @NickCox I guess animated just means convert multiple of these to an animated gif or so. $\endgroup$
    – Good Luck
    Commented Mar 10, 2021 at 20:26

I don't think there's any special name for these. I would just refer to such graphs as animated X, where X = bar chart/scatterplot/etc.

It's worth specifying that the animation communicates changes over time, but people would likely assume this anyway because that's the most common use for animation in figures.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.