I have a set of observed one-dimensional independent data set: X[1...N].

What is the official name of the simple estimation of CDF function with stepwise function P(x[i]) == i / N

  • $\begingroup$ To follow up on @Scortchi's excellent answer, there's a Wikipedia article that may help. $\endgroup$ – Glen_b Aug 16 '13 at 22:05
  • $\begingroup$ @Glen_b: add it as a link in the answer. $\endgroup$ – naught101 Aug 17 '13 at 1:21
  • $\begingroup$ Minutest of minute points, but this is about terminology. I'd say step function here. The word "stepwise" has quite different associations, indicating a method of predictor selection in model fitting. Although using the word "stepwise" is unlikely to cause real confusion, "step" is the better word here. $\endgroup$ – Nick Cox Aug 17 '13 at 9:48

It's usually called the 'empirical cumulative distribution function', typically abbreviated to 'empirical CDF', or sometimes it's called just the 'empirical distribution function'.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.