Does anybody know what type of chart that is? (some sort of bubble chart but with links between bubbles)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PageRanks-Example.svg enter image description here

  • 5
    $\begingroup$ Typically 'bubble graph' is on an x-y coordinate system with no connections between bubbles. $\endgroup$ – Frank Harrell Sep 20 '13 at 12:21

I'd just call it a directed graph (digraph) where the nodes have values (fields, attributes) which are expressed as visual attributes (size, color, label). I'm using "graph" in the mathematical sense and not as a synonym for "chart".

Such graphs can be drawn with graphviz, and other software. (Though I'm not sure how to achieve the gaudy 3D effect.)

[Edited once for each comment so far: Greg Snow, whuber, and Henry.]

  • 3
    $\begingroup$ Since the connections have a direction (arrows) it could be called a directed graph. $\endgroup$ – Greg Snow Sep 20 '13 at 21:10
  • $\begingroup$ @GregSnow: Excellent point. I'll edit to add that. $\endgroup$ – Wayne Sep 20 '13 at 21:34
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ What distinction are you making between "directed graph" and "directed network graph"? $\endgroup$ – whuber Sep 20 '13 at 21:36
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ The nodes have values (which determine the size and apparently the colours) $\endgroup$ – Henry Sep 20 '13 at 22:15
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @whuber: Good point. I've deleted the word "network", but added a sentence to explain that the usage of "graph" (which in popular usage can be synonymous with "chart"). $\endgroup$ – Wayne Sep 20 '13 at 23:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.