0
$\begingroup$

A market research firms conducts studies regarding the success of new products. The company is not always perfect in predicting the success. Suppose that there is a 50% chance that any new product would be successful (and a 50% chance that it would fail). In the past, for all new products that ultimately were successful, 80% were predicted to be successful (and the other 20% were inaccurately predicted to be failures). Also, for all new products that were ultimately failures, 70% were predicted to be failures (and the other 30% were inaccurately predicted to be successes). What is the a priori probability that a new product would be a success?

a) 0.50
b) 0.80
c) 0.95
d) 0.70
e) 0.60

I don't understand how to do this problem. This uses Bayes' Rule. Can someone show the steps to do this? This is a problem in my textbook. No its not homework, its for my own studying.

$\endgroup$
4
  • $\begingroup$ Hi and welcome to the site! I don't understand the question: You say that "there is a 50% chance that any new product would be successful" and in the end, the question asks "What is the a priori probability that a new product would be a success?". It seems to me that the question itself gives the answer. But where do the predictions come in? $\endgroup$ Commented Sep 30, 2013 at 18:01
  • $\begingroup$ I don't get what the answer is. They give you answers but you gotta pick the right one as it is a multiple choice type question. Its to show your work and understand the process of reaching the answer. $\endgroup$ Commented Sep 30, 2013 at 23:29
  • $\begingroup$ I presume there a couple of questions under this text and the first one "What is the a priori probability that a new product would be a success?" is only checking your understanding of the concepts. You do not need Bayes Rule for this, as others have pointed out, the answer P(Success) = 0.50 is in the question. $\endgroup$
    – Zhubarb
    Commented Oct 1, 2013 at 16:01
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ "its for my own studying" -- which thereby still falls under the self-study tag. Would you please add that tag? (NB It doesn't actually use Bayes' rule) $\endgroup$
    – Glen_b
    Commented Oct 1, 2013 at 16:11

1 Answer 1

2
$\begingroup$

What is the a priori probability that a new product would be a success?

The answer is right in the question there are no calculations to be done. Review the definitions of a priori probability, a posteriori probability, and likelihood and read the question again.

$\endgroup$

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.