What is the difference between regression analysis and response surface analysis?
When should one use response surface?
I'm assuming that you are asking about Multiple regression method and Response surface method. Below is the simple explanation about both methods and their applications. As you read through, you will understand the difference between these two methods.
Regression analysis is used to investigate and model the relationship between a response variable and one or more predictors
Multiple regression method may be employed to
- find the relationship between factors and the response variable(s)
- model a relationship between the response and continuous and categorical variable etc..
Response surface method:
Response surface methods are used to examine the relationship between a response variable and a set of experimental variables or factors. These methods are often employed after you have identified a "vital few" controllable factors and you want to find the factor settings that optimize the response. Designs of this type are usually chosen when you suspect curvature in the response surface.
Response surface methods may be employed to
- find factor settings (operating conditions) that produce the "best" response
- find factor settings that satisfy operating or process specifications
- identify new operating conditions that produce demonstrated improvement in product
- quality over the quality achieved by current conditions
- model a relationship between the response and continuous and categorical factors
Hope this helps !