Linked Questions

0
votes
1answer
29 views

What is a simple intuitive definition of Odd? [duplicate]

From what i read "The probability that an event will occur is the fraction of times you expect to see that event in many trials. The odds are defined as the probability that the event will occur ...
107
votes
16answers
10k views

What misused statistical terms are worth correcting?

Statistics is everywhere; common usage of statistical terms is, however, often unclear. The terms probability and odds are used interchangeable in lay English despite their well-defined and different ...
26
votes
7answers
11k views

Combining probabilities/information from different sources

Lets say I have three independent sources and each of them make predictions for the weather tomorrow. The first one says that the probability of rain tomorrow is 0, then the second one says that the ...
29
votes
3answers
24k views

Interpretation of simple predictions to odds ratios in logistic regression

I'm somewhat new to using logistic regression, and a bit confused by a discrepancy between my interpretations of the following values which I thought would be the same: exponentiated beta values ...
6
votes
3answers
929 views

Pooling data for logistic regression

I want to run a logistic regression on greyhound races. For each race I have a dummy variable (y) that takes value one when the dog wins and zero otherwise. Unfortunately the number of hounds in each ...
4
votes
4answers
1k views

Odds of a number appearing only one time in 500 spins on roulette

I recently observed a roulette wheel where one number appeared only once in five hundred spins. This is an American roulette wheel with 0 and 00, so the odds of any number hitting should be 1/38. I ...
7
votes
1answer
401 views

Probability of surviving an event three times

If given a 60% chance of something occurring (such as death due to a medical diagnosis) what is the likelihood that the person can survive this three times? For example, 40% of people will survive it....
3
votes
1answer
1k views

McNemar's test vs chi-squared test for before & after data with different people from the same population

I have 2 proportions I want to compare. They are from the same population but at different time periods, in between which there was an intervention. H0: Proportion in Period#1 = Proportion in Period#...
-1
votes
1answer
122 views

What test should I run to show if there is a correlation between two binary variables?

I have two variable religion and healthy. The answers are coded as yes or no. I want to see if health is related to religion.
1
vote
1answer
95 views

What exactly does 'sevenfold-increased odds of baldness' mean?

From this paper: The one man in seven who harbors risk alleles at both 20p11.22 and AR (encoding the androgen receptor) has a sevenfold-increased odds of androgenic alopecia (OR = 7.12, P = 3.7 x ...